The City Council has recently installed information boards to form a heritage trail and a blue plaque for Godfrey Issacs (Managing Director for the Marconi Company between 1910 and 1924) on the powerhouse/gym building at 1 Dunn Side within the Marconi development.
They will be holding an event for the Mayor of Chelmsford to formally unveil the plaque and the boards on the 10th November at 14:30, this will include a tour of the powerhouse building and a tour of the heritage trail created from the installation of information boards in the area.
Members of the Marconi Veterans Association are invited to attend.
The marketing team will be taking photographs during the event, if you do not wish to be photographed during the event please also let me know.
It is with great sadness that we report the death of
- Professor Roy Simons OBE who joined in 1943. Died on 20th October 2021, aged 97. He was the President of the MVA in 2007. Obituary here
- Mr Colin Lax who joined in 1958. Died on 8th October 2021. He was formally Quality Control, Research, Baddow.
- Mr Bob Holloway who joined in 1963. Died in October 2021.
- Mr John Witter who joined in 1955, Died on 22nd September 2021 of a heart attack.
A very successful Marconi Veterans Association Reunion was held on Saturday 18th September at at Pontlands Park with around 105 attendees.
The Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society have just launched their 2021/22 programme.
This initially includes
- Wed 27 Oct (evening): 150 Years of Science and Technology in Chelmsford, a talk by Prof Robert Iliffe (Professor of the History of Science, University of Oxford). This will be an online event.
- Wed 17 Nov (evening): CSES Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2021. Also an online event.
- Sun 21 Nov (daytime): Marconi... Past, Present and Future, an exhibition by CSES, Chelmsford Civic Society and others at the Hylands House Open Day.
- Wed 24 Nov (evening): The Role of Nuclear in Net Zero, a talk by CSES, ARU and the Bradwell B project. Our first 'hybrid' event with both in-person and online attendance options, and something we plan to roll out more widely.
Note that some details are still to be confirmed; the listings will be updated on the Chelmsford Science and Engineering web site in due course. Please do register your interest in the meantime by booking where appropriate.
Alternatively you can post information to the MVA Secretary.
We try to compile the Newsletter during October / November to complete it in December, for publishing after Christmas.
Newsletter and Web site