This new book has been published by authors Paul Hawkins and Paul Reyland.
This is the story of two radio communication stations built by Marconi in Essex, a receiving station at Brentwood and a transmitting station at Ongar. The stations were established to provide European and international wireless telegraph services, initially to Berne, Paris and Madrid. Services commenced in 1922 and telegrams were transmitted and received in Morse code at around 100 words per minute. The stations operated in the long wave band and the transmitters and receivers utilised the latest in valve technology.
This book can be purchased for £8.99 (plus postage unless you have a Prime account) on-line at Amazon.
It is also available from the Chelmsford Market on the ‘A Bit of Everything’ stall (tools, books and ephemera) on Thursdays only - at the same price.
There have been many links published over the years both on this web site and in the annual newsletters so here is an attempt to list them all in one place.
If anyone knows of sites that may be of interest to other Veterans we would be happy to publish them here.
- Link to ARCHIVE (previous version) Marconi Veterans site https://www.marconi-veterans.com
- The Marconi Family Wiki https://themarconifamily.pbworks.com/w/page/55705347/The%20Marconi%20Family
- Marconi Calling www.marconicalling.com
- Marconi Old Geezers (MOGS) https://groups.io/g/mogs
- Marconi Apprentices Association, Amateur Radio G3JTW: http://www.qrz.com/db/G3JTW
- Marconi Heritage Group http://www.marconiheritage.org/
- Marconi section on BAE Systems Heritage Site https://www.baesystems.com/en/our-company/heritage/heritage-resources?searchQuery=marconi
- Marconi Adverts from 1916 https://www.aviationancestry.co.uk
- Chelmsford Science and Engineering Society https://www.chelmsfordses.org.uk/
- Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society (CARS) http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/
- Chelmsford Calling: http://www.chelmsfordcalling.co.uk/
- Chelmsford Museum extension opens: BBC Essex: Museum opens 2010
- Alexandra Palace Television Society: http://www.bbctv-ap.co.uk/aptsoc.htm
- Battle of Britain - The Dowding System: https://bcove.video/3ofvqCT
- Bawdsey Radar Group http://www.bawdseyradar.org.uk/
- BECG - The Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group https://becg.org.uk/
- Chain Home Radar Station, Lincolnshire: http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/stenigot/index.html
- Computer Preservation Society https://www.computerconservationsociety.org/
- Defence Electronics History Society http://www.dehs.org.uk
- Duxford Radio Trust: https://sites.google.com/view/new-drt-v5/home
- Essex CW Amateur Radio Club: http://essexcw.uk/
- GEC Archive http://www.trevorwright.com/GEC/Archive/front.html
- Museum of the Broadcast Television Camera: http://www.tvcameramuseum.org
- Stow Maries Aerodrome http://www.stowmaries.org.uk
- RAF Air Defence Radar Museum, Neatishead http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/
- RN Museum of Radio and Radar https://www.rnradioandradar.co.uk/
- The Wireless College, Colwyn Bay http://www.wirelesscollege.co.uk/
- The Radio Officers’ Association: http://www.radioofficers.com/